7.22.2012

Whole-Wheat Chicken Alfredo Pizza

The other day I made chicken Alfredo pizza for dinner.  It was so easy, I made it again for dinner the next day!

Here is what you will need:

for the crust:
1-2 cups of whole wheat flour, it will depend on how your flour and yeast mingle as to how much you will need
1 pouch of pizza dough yeast
2/3 cup warm water
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of salt, I use kosher

for the sauce (adapted from 100 days of real food):
2 tablespoons of organic butter
1 cup of organic heavy whipping cream
2-3 tablespoons of whole wheat flour
1-2 cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese, I used Cabot (I didn't have any parm at the house, so I substituted.  I do this often)

toppings:
I used frozen organic broccoli, fresh sliced de-seeded tomatoes and leftover shredded chicken from this recipe.  If I had some on hand I would have also added shredded carrots or maybe some caramelized onions. 

For the crust I just followed the directions on the packet.  Heat your oven to 425F.  The whole wheat will make the dough a little stickier and will cook up thicker than if you were to use all-purpose flour.  If you don't like the dense crust you can use half whole wheat and half all-purpose.  You could also cook the crust for like 5 minutes before adding any of your toppings to help make the middle of the crust seem more cooked.  Note, the crust will rise if you do this, just gently push it back down when you pull it out of the oven before adding the toppings.  I also spray the pan down with olive oil Pam before putting the crust down on it so that I don't have a huge cheesy-baked-on mess to clean up after dinner.

For the sauce, heat the butter and cream on medium heat until it becomes slightly thick.  Turn the heat down so that it doesn't boil.  Mine seemed kind of thin for pizza sauce so I added some flour little by little until it thickened up until how I wanted it.  Whisk continuously so that it doesn't burn.  Since I only use block cheese, I shredded it before putting it into the pot.  Put the shredded cheese into the pot and whisk up until it thickens up.  Set it aside or put the burner on warm while you add the toppings to your pizza.

Next add your toppings to the pizza.  I don't like to leave a lot of crust room since I don't like plain crust, so I usually go as close to the edge as I can with all the goodness.  Once you have your toppings arranged how you want them, pour on your sauce.  I had some left over which I used the next day for the second pizza.  You can top it with more shredded cheese if you want, but the sauce is pretty cheesy so you don't have to.  Then put it in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.  I have a convection oven so it doesn't take as long.  Let it sit for a few minutes after taking it out of the oven so that the sauce can settle up some and it doesn't run everywhere when you cut it.

I served it with a simple salad of organic greens, cucumber and tomato with unsalted sunflower seeds.

It was so easy to make, even with a baby babbling at me the whole time.  I love to pretend I'm a cooking instructor like Julia Childs when I cook in front of her.  She likes to a show with her dinner, so it is win-win.
Don't you love my dough-rolling-out skillz?

Cheesy goodness

Dinner side salad


No comments:

Post a Comment