8.09.2012

Co-op Grocery Trip and Dinner

As soon as Brad brings the mail in, since I always forget to go get it, I immediately sort it.  One pile for recycling, one pile for shredding and one pile of scan/file/pay-this-bill.  I was casually sorting the mail and I went to put a newspaper type ad into the recycles when something caught my eye.  It was an add for a co-op supermarket - RIGHT DOWN THE STREET from me!  How could I have not known this place existed?  The plans were made and the next day I ventured there.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful.  It was like being in a general store on Little House on the Prairie.  Everything was either local or organic or both.  It made hunting down what I needed so much easier but at the same time, there was so much I had never seen before.  I wanted to stay and look a while but I knew Aria would only be able to handle so much grocery shopping before she wanted to get down and play (I had her in the baby sling), so I just looked at the perimeter aisles - at least that is what you are supposed to do at the traditional grocery store, right?

It had been forever since we had any fish, and fresh fish at that, so I decided to get some wild-caught salmon.  I had seen a ton of pins for teriyaki salmon so I figured I would be safe in finding a recipe - or even leaving it bare with some fresh lemon on it.  I also got an organic local zuchinni and onion along with some bulk mixed nuts (totally awesome) and some bulk nutritional yeast to try out.

I ended up making a honey teriyaki glaze for the salmon and veggie fried rice.  Brad liked both and asked for more, so I'm saying this was a success for throwing something together in about 20 minutes.

Brad came home from work early and Aria had just woken up from her nap, so I didn't have time to go actually searching for the recipes that I had seen in the wee hours of the night I saw while pinteresting on my phone in bed.  I improvised with what I could remember and I think they turned out pretty darn good.

Veggie Fried Rice

some sesame oil
some olive oil
1 zuchinni
1 yellow squash
1/2 medium onion
garlic - about 2 cloves worth, minced
2 eggs
ground ginger
salt and pepper
cooked rice (I used medium grain brown rice)

Start by cooking your rice either in a rice cooker or a heavy bottomed pot on the stovetop, following the directions on the bag.

While the rice is cooking, wash and cut up your veggies.  Heat your skillet and add some sesame oil and equal parts olive oil.  Add the onion and cook until translucent.  Add the garlic and heat for a few minutes.  Add the veggies and cook until tender, stirring so they don't burn to the bottom of the skillet.  Add some ground ginger, salt and pepper.  I just sprinkled it over the surface of the veggies.

Once the veggies are tender, push them to the outer edge of the pan and scramble the eggs in the middle.  You might need to add a little more oil before doing this so the eggs don't burn to the pan (I might cook a little too high on the heat - sorry Daddy!).

After everything is looking good, add the rice and brown for a few minutes.  You will have to stir this around the whole time to make sure that all of the rice is "fried" (there isn't a lot of oil left at this point so I'm not sure how fried it really is).  And you are done!

Honey Teriyaki Salmon


teriyaki sauce
honey
sesame seed oil
salmon
spritzing of oil
 
Preheat your oven to 400F.  

You will need equal parts honey and teriyaki sauce.  I didn't measure, probably about 3-4 tablespoons of each.  I also put in about half as much sesame seed oil.  Wisk it up.  Give it a taste to make sure it isn't too salty and isn't too sweet.  Set aside.

Get out your fillet of salmon and cut it into equal parts.  Mine cut up into three sections.  Place them onto a foil lined baking sheet that has been lightly spritzed with some type of oil.  (Salmon will stick to anything given the opportunity).

You can either just pour the glaze on the pieces (which is what I did and it made a browned honey sauce on the foil which I scooped up and put on top of the pieces after they were cooked) or you can put the salmon in a bowl and let them marinate for 10-15 minutes or until the oven is preheated.

Cook the salmon for about 10-15 minutes, depending on how thick your pieces are.  I started at 10 and checked them.  I think cooked them for about 13 and a half minutes.  They are done with they are a lighter pink and are flaky. (please excuse my sauce drizzle in the corner)

Ooo - Look at that plating!

The color on this salmon was amazing.  It was such a bright pink.  I was hungry and didn't take the time to really get a good shot.

Yummy!
I would say this was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment