8.02.2012

White Turkey Chili

I normally make chili in the crockpot and let it sit for like 4 hours but I'm still learning my time management skillz of staying at home and taking care of everything being the Family Manager, so I made it on the stove.  It was really easy to make and only took like 45 minutes to cook once I had everything cut up!

White Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey
5-6 cups homemade chicken stock
some kind of oil or butter to saute the veggies with
1 vidallia onion (I diced it up really small)
a hearty helping on minced garlic (like 2 spoonfuls full)
2 ribs of organic celery (I also diced these up small)
1 poblano pepper, seeds removed and diced (I only used one because I don't like a lot of spice, you can add more if you want)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cans of organic great white northern beans, drained and rinsed
grated cheese, we use seriously sharp Cabott block cheese
a dolop of sour cream
ground white pepper
 *you can leave off the cheese and sour cream for a healthier option, but it won't be as tasty

Directions:

1. In a big pot on med-high heat, cook the butter and and onions until the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic and stir so the garlic doesn't burn to the bottom of the pot.
2.  Add the celery, peppers, and cumin and cook until tender.
3.  Next, add the turkey.  Since turkey is softer than ground beef, I add it in chunks so it is easier to break it up.  Make sure it is cooked throughout before moving to next step.
4.  Add the homemade chicken stock and beans.  Bring to a high simmer.  Reduce heat to keep it at a simmer and cover pot for like 30 minutes or so.  (I didn't really time this, I just cleaned up the kitchen and when I was done, I decided it was ready).  If it looks like there isn't a lot of soup part, you can add more stock or water.  We like the soup part, so I added more half-way through this step.
5.  Ladle out into bowls, add a dolop of sour cream, some shredded cheese and top with white pepper.

For throwing something together to use up some ground turkey, my hubby really liked it.  Plus, I love one pot meals! Other than a cutting board, knife and cheese grater, there isn't a lot of clean-up involved - my favorite. *It looks like there is a ton of sour cream, but the chili was hot and it slid down the mountain.  I was hungry and didn't want to plate a third bowl just for pics - this was my second attempt bowl. *






No comments:

Post a Comment